Birmingham Airport (BHX)
History, Facts and Overview
(Birmingham, West Midlands, England, UK)
Based in the suburb of Elmdon, the UK's Birmingham International Airport was established by the local government in the summer of 1939. Shortly afterwards, the airport was requisitioned by the Royal Air Force, who used the site as a prominent airbase during the war. Civilian usage of Birmingham Airport was regained in 1960, when a number of commercial flights commenced.
The mid-1970s was an important time for the airport, when it was officially taken over by the West Midlands County Council, and in just ten years, a new terminal building arrived. 1991 saw the opening of the second terminal, a trendsetting 'Eurohub' serving both international and domestic flights and greatly increasing the overall capacity.
Today, the airport is privately owned by the Birmingham International Airport PLC and continues to make improvements, including the addition of a modern food court and further runway extensions. Plenty of shops are also onsite, with the best selection being sited within Terminal 1 and even including a Ladbrokes betting shop.
Birmingham's BHX Airport comes with excellent business facilities and various business booths are located in both terminals. Terminal 1 has credit card operated phones, email, modem and fax services in departures, while the Eurohub even offers secretarial services, situated next to Travelex.